Minneapolis Seed Company


In 1907, this land was purchased by the Terminal Elevator Company, a Cargill subsidiary, for its seed business foray. In 1908, an iron-clad frame grain elevator was built by the Barnett & Record Company for the Cargill Elevator Company. The elevator was built at a cost of $10,000 and measured 36 x 40 x 70 feet.

In 1912, the firm’s name was changed to the Minneapolis Seed Company because Cargill believed “independents and Farmer’s Elevators are very strongly prejudiced on the subject of selling seeds to a line company or to any middleman.” The elevator was destroyed by fire in 1930 and was replaced with a brick and reinforced concrete seed house measuring 36 x 60 x 100 feet with a 47,000 bushel capacity.

The seed house, constructed by Jason H. Brown Company, functioned like a receiving elevator with bins inside and an attached loading shed. A steel addition was placed at the top of the bins in 1965. Today the property is in use as a warehouse owned by a non-grain entity.

Source: http://goo.gl/0Am5fC

Photo: Guthrie Byard

Leave a Comment